Friday, July 16, 2010

Chemo Round 6

Yesterday, July 15th was round 6 of chemo.

Richard took me this morning. I didn't want to go (I dont think there has been even one time I have wanted to go!). I had told him that they didn't care about me. It was just their job and they were only there because they got paid to be there.. so of course he had to tell them all that!
On my after care page from the Dr. it says, We Love You and a smiley face inside a heart. And on my aftercare page from the infusion nurse it says You know we love you!

I really like my oncologist, Dr. Richert-Boe. She isn't a ball of fire type of person and not much personality but I really like her. After her visit she gave me hug and said they all love me!

My appointment was with the Dr. at 8:30am..a little early for me since I am not a morning person, but it gets the appointment over with earlier! I was in my chemo chair by 9:00am
Today was another loooong day. Not as long as last time. I was out today at 2:45pm.

Before they give me the chemo drug Taxol, they give me by IV Benedryl and Pepcid. The Benedryl almost instantly made me sooo tired I could keep my head up I felt like my head was bobbing around on a wobbly neck. I had to lay back for a little bit. Richard was still there and my mom had showed up too, so they visited while I rested and tried to focus on what was going on for a little bit.
After these meds. I got the Taxol. This is what takes so long, they start out giving it really really slow than increase it amount but it over all takes the majority of the time, and then about a 20 minute rinse of saline to make sure my port is doing OK. Then they gave me the Herceptin, that took 30 minutes than another 15 minute rinse of the saline. It all takes  more time than I want it to take!
Mom sat and visited with me the entire time and than took me home. She didnt have to, but I am glad  she always does.

I got home at 3pm and went directly to bed until 5pm. I was so tired.  After my nap I sat outside on the patio and enjoyed the really nice summer weather.
After Richard went and got us dinner I came inside and took some anti nausea medicine. I took one of the Compozine and before bed a Lorzapan to help me sleep and calm me down.

Today, July 16th,  feel really good. Going a little slow, just a little queasy but not bad. Stayed home from work to take it easy and make sure there weren't any weird side effects. I am wearing my pink Survivor T shirt with the pink ribbon for cancer awarness on it that a friend at work gave me. Reinforce in mind that word Survivor!

I asked Dr. Richert-Boe about follow up treatments since several have asked me when will I be tested again for cancer. This was her comment:
When I am done with the chemo and radiation, I will be checked every three months for 2 years, then every 6 months for 3 to 5 years, then once a year after that for possibly 5 years.

I had my blood lab work done on Wed  July 14th (always the day before my chemo)  and one of the tests called ALT Serum showed my last result on 6/23 as a count of 23, this time it on 7/14 it was a count of 55. The standard range is 10 to 58. So I was worried that by next time, it will be out of the "good" range but the Dr. said no, it was just fine.
This test according to Kaiser is: an alanne aminotransferase (ALT) test measures the amount of this enzyme in the blood. ALT is found mainly in the liver but also in smaller amounts in the kidneys, heart muscles and pancreas.  ALT is measured to see if the liver is damaged or diseased. The low levels of ALT are normally found int the blood. But when the liver is damaged or diseased it releases  ALT into the blood stream, which makes the ALT levels go up. Most ALT levels are caused by liver damage.

So since I had read this before my Dr's appointment I had asked her since this had me worried about liver damage. But the Dr said my range from the blood test was just fine and not to be worried about it. So that took my mind of that little worry.

glad this one is over... only 2 more chemo's to go!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Wow Nancy, only two more chemo's to go. You are doing really well. Just to let you know I LOVE YOU TOO Dear Sister of Mine. I wish there was something I could say or do to let you know that. I know too all of this must be extremely hard for you. It is so good when I see you at the meetings and you look so well. Maybe one of these days we could go to lunch or something. Let me know. Take care and know that besides everyone else JEHOVAH loves you. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Love ~ Your Sister In The Faith ~ Shari B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sis!
    We love you too! You be good! We KNOW those medical people LOVE you...you're impossible to be around and NOT love! :-) Wade says he's sending you a hug. Hope you continue feeling better. Love & Hugs!
    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy, just want you to know you are in my thoughts everyday. I, too, love you and send you my support. The other day a Sis gave me a charm necklace and one of the charms says "Survivor". I thought of you and really, all of us that have survived hard times. I have it on now and am proud to think of the tough times in the past and that I came out the other side and still love and serve Jehovah. I learned about my Spiritual family and that it is OK to lean on them. I survived with Jehovah's help and you will, too! You are almost there. You will have learned so much from this experience and will be able to empathize and support the next Sister that has to face the same trial. Hold on alittle while longer and this will be a thing of the past.
    Much love, Jackie

    ReplyDelete