Saturday, July 3, 2010

Herceptin Med

Thursday July 1st was one of my first weekly appointments for the medicine Herceptin.

It took a full 2 hours from the time I got there to the time I left.

This drug is not a chemo drug and until my chemo treatments are done, I will be getting this med every Thursday. I am going to try to go on my lunch hour to cut down on my sick FMLA time away from work for part of the appointment.

I did really well. I was expecting to have some sickness since the most common side effect is flu like symptoms. However, I didn't feel sick at all.
For the timing on this first appointment I was a really watching it since the next day on Friday July 2nd was the beginning of our three day District Convention of Jehovah's Witnesses in Portland which is about an hour drive to get there. And I was leery that I would be sick and not be able to go, or have to leave early. My goal was to make it to my seat and stay put. However, I am not feeling any sickness so have been happy!

Once my chemo that is every three weeks is done (the end of August), than this Herceptin medicine I will get every three weeks for a year.

And I am starting to lose my eyelashes and eyebrows now. I bought some fake eyelashes but haven't tried them yet!
One of the side effects of my new chemo drug, Taxol, is hair loss. So I am pretty sure I will lose the rest of them.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Lady,
    glad to hear you are responding well to the new meds. How long have they been having DC's in Portland? Brian's folks are at the Dome this weekend.
    Enjoy day 3 tomorrow!
    Much Love,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth,
    I think this was our 4th year to have our convention at the Memorial Coliseum. Its nice to be so close to home! todays afternoon total in attendance was 6,700.

    Yes its great to know I can go, have a treatment and not get sick, especially since this is the med I will be on for a year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so nice to see you there girl. I am glad that you were able to be there. You looked like you felt pretty good. Everyday you are closer to ending this and also another day closer to the time we all long for when we will be in the new order and won't be sick any longer. Take care dear sister. Love you ~ Shari B

    ReplyDelete