Wednesday, February 9, 2011

1 Year Check Up

Today Richard and I went to Vancouver to meet with Dr. Chung. She's the one who did my surgery. She works at the Mill Plain Kaiser in General Surgery.
She was excited and happy that my mammogram came back clean.
Did a breast exam, asked a few questions like am I having any night sweats (not hot flashes), any soreness in the breast or under arm area or weight  loss. She explained that if I had anything like this, they would then do a CAT scan or PET scan, that these are symptoms of it returning. I have none of these symptoms! She said everything was fine up to now and keep on doing what Dr. Richert-Boe suggested and would see me in a year for my two year anniversary. She also looked at my port and said it looks good on the outside, and when I am done with the Herceptin in June or after, I can have it taken out. The good news is that I can have it done in a Kaiser office and I don't have to go back to St. Johns same day surgery to have it taken out ( that saved me about $6,000). She explained that to put it in, it has to be done a hospital, but to take it out, its much easier and can she can do it in the office.That was a huge relief!
Dr. Chung is a very nice doctor and has been very upfront and open about everything with us. She told me in the beginning that it would be about a year of treatment. (turned out so far to be about 1 1/2 years by the time I am done with the Hercptin in June.)
I really cant believe its been one year ..... one year...... a year ago tomorrow, February 10th I was having my surgery to have the lump removed and start this whole process to heal myself of breast cancer.
They say five years without it coming back and then I can say I am cancer free.. I have one year behind me!

1 comment:

  1. This is good news Nancy. It is so nice to see your smiling face at the Kingdom Hall and anywhere for that matter. I look forward to our luncheon next Thursday. Know that you are loved and cared about by "ME" I wished I could have been there for you even more.

    Love ~ Shari B

    ReplyDelete