Monday, January 24, 2011

Start Tamoxifen

On Thursday January 20, 2011 I had my routinely three week visit to Kaiser. This time I met with Dr. Richert-Boe. After my exam Richard and I asked her a few questions like, the mammogram takes pictures of and checks the breast, how do I know the cancer isn't active or spreading to the lymph nodes since the mammogram doesn't take pictures of the under arm area. She said they can tell somewhat from the mammogram since it does reach to the underarm area a little but mostly even with the breast, the best way to tell is by hands on and talking to the patient about symptoms.

I also referred to the medicine that radiation Dr. Kim had said I would be taking. Dr. Richert-Boe looked at my records on the computer and said yes I would be taking Tamoxifen and I could start it that day.
Since I am still having my monthly cycles, I will be on the Tamoxifen until those stop then I will be on a pill once a day called Anastrozole. The Tamoxifen is to rid my body of estrogen. Since my cancer cells tested positive for a protein which estrogen will bind to.. . meaning my cancer needs estrogen to grow. This medicine works against the effects of estrogen on these cells.  Tamoxifen helps prevent the original breast cancer from returning and also helps prevent the development of new cancers in the other breast.

Side effects you ask?  Possible blood clots, the Dr said its very low like 1 in 500. I think that does not sound like a low amount, but she said it was a low ratio. Other side effects are hot flashes. oh boy!
What she did not tell me , that I have been reading about was one of side effects is also an increase in cancer of the uterus.. However the studying and reading I have done on this says that this is very low and the benefits to Tamoxifen far out weigh the risks.

So I guess the one good thing is that I have now started on the five years of meds and I can start the count down! Other than that I am feeling very good. My hair is coming in great. Gray and very very curly and very thick. Mostly I just put some mousse in it and scrunch it up some an its done.  cant wait for it to get longer! I miss my long hair and bangs.

No comments:

Post a Comment