Monday, January 17, 2011

Emails From Friends And Family

The following are comments that I received from coworkers, family and friends once I told everyone that I had breast cancer and would be having surgery and chemo:


Beth Latham: you will be in our prayers. You are young, you can fight this, you have more strength  and courage than you know at this moment and when you think you don't have the strength, you have Jehovah to rely on.
Anne Montgomery: I cant believe this! you are too young for this kind of thing. Although that will be in your favor. I'll pray that it is the best scenario possible (Catholic prayers, though so....) Sounds like you have a positive attitude which is the best medicine.
Erica Gillum: This is definitely a shock. you are a fighter and will beat this 100%. No matter if you have hair or not, you will look fine.
Kim Conradi: I am so totally sorry. Thank you for sharing such a personal matter with us. You have always been a dear friend to me and I value that. While I can imagine all the tears, I cannot imagine there are any words that would mend nor pacify your feelings. The only words possibly comforting would be those in the scriptures.  Thank goodness you were on e of that that kept thorough in your studies and Bible reading. I know that will fortify you through this difficult time.

The day before surgery for my care package that I got at work I sent out a thank you for the package and said I would rather be leaving for a vacation in Mexico:
Angie Gardner: Wear a poncho to surgery and you will feel like you are in Mexico, I promise! Love ya
Hilary: Good luck!  Fight like a girl!!!!
Tina Halsey: You are a wonderful person and wonderful people are given wonderful gifts.
Janice Heinz: I will be sending  you all my positive thoughts
Kathy Miller: Its difficult to see what all the fuss is about when you feel so normal yet something so overwhelming is going on around you. But its all about people caring and we do- feel safe tomorrow and know that ou will come safely out the other side! Love ya
Doris: I am praying for you and a quick recovery. If you need anything  call me and I will be there.
Sandy Lebaron: It is just so hared to find the words to say to someone facing what you are facing tomorrow. So I will be praying for good reports after the surgery.
Missy: wow. You'll be OK and come through great. I know this is scary, but you are strong and will get through this. Is OK to have a melt down every now and then. Wade has been thinking of the song by  Rob Thomas  called Her Diamonds and how Richard must  be feeling with you being sick and him feeling a little helpless, even though he is not. Wish I could be there for you, I'm hugging you right now.. do you feel it?
Marcia Hurry: Sorry to hear you are going thru such stress and worry. You are most definitely in my thoughts and prayers.  God will only give us what we can handle. So he must feel you are a very strong lady.

Out of surgery, Kris called work for me, this is from Sue:
Kris just called and said Nancy is out of surgery and in recovery. No one has been able to see her yet. They were told they did remove the lump but the cancer had spread to the lymph nodes so they took as many as they could. She will most likely be off for two weeks and then once she is done healing they will have to do some aggressive chemo and radiation. That is about all I know. Kris said if she finds out more she will give us a call.

Out of surgery:
Beth : I am thinking by now you are out of surgery and awake and enjoying the company of a room full of you support crew. We are thinking about you, everyday but your even more on my mind today. I cant do much from California but I did 3 miles on the treadmill non stop to " I am Superwoman" in honor of you. Its your song, I ran to it the day I got your email to let me know about the cancer and its been your song since that day. Seems fitting. Anyways, I 've been thinking about you all day today and send much love.


Cancer came back at stage 3, have a bone scan and cat scan to see if its spread to the liver or bones. Then I will meet with the Dr for type of treatment. Thinking of starting a blog.
Beth: No really you should start a blog. Its amazingly therapeutic to get it all out and down and free therapy! It would give your peeps some insight as to what you are going through, feeling etc. .. just saying.
I have been trying to wrap my head around how someone deals, copes  and gets though cancer. I know you take one day at a time and deal with things as they come, rely Jehovah but how does one get their head around that? I am not trying to depress you. I've just been thinking about it a lot..
Vonnie: You are being so brave! I am so very proud of you.
Cindy Coonan: So am sitting here at my  desk missing you  every day. Just wanted to let you know you are greatly missed.

The blog:
Marcia: Love your blog and read it all the time. Even some of my friends have been keeping tabs on you too. You inspire all of us with your happy outlook.

Time for a wig:
Kris to Ger: will you shave your head for Nancy?
Ger to Kris: who else is doing it? I was going to ask if I could do something for Nancy but this isn't what I had in mind.
Nancy to Elaine in HR: What is going to be considered appropriate "head coverings" for work, for when I am in chemo and have lost my hair? I don't think the manual exactly addresses my issue.
Elaine to Nancy: You can wear a hat, scarf etc. Whatever you are comfortable with. The dress code doesn't address this, but I talked to Kim and its appropriate for you to wear what  you will be comfortable with.

Nancy to Kris: I was just in the bathroom and was running my hand through my hair and it was coming out 4 or 5 at a time, no matter how many times I did it.
Now I am getting panicky.
Brenda to Nancy:  Take a deep breath!!! We all knew this would happen.. get the wig ready asap. Love Ya and sorry. The wigs look good. You are beautiful to us!
Missy: Just because we all say on the blog how strong you are, doesn't mean you have to be strong. Its OK to have a melt down. Your hair is falling out!, you don't have to find a way to cope with that, or to accept it or to find humor in it. we all would freak out too if our hair fell out. I have been crying for you all day. When I washed my hair, when I dried it, when I put it in a pony.. to be cooler not to keep it from falling out. I cant begin to know what you feel. I keep telling myself this is not the real life, but for you right now it is. Because its in your face and have to deal with it every day. Just know that we love you and we talk about you and pray for you everyday.

When others passed away from cancer, I felt guilty:
Missy: Don't minimize your battle by comparing yourself to others. Its all unfair, its all chance. What works for some, doenst for others. Its a lousy system. That's why we need the New System when no one will say, I am sick.

Many many many emails when the chemo was finished.
Many many many emails when I finished the radiation. Kris had a work party .
Lisa Bailey: I am so glad you finished your radiation and I am sure those last few were hard to face. I am excited to put you in the remission category! Happy health. Way to go.
Yolanda: You have tackled this challenge with such positivity it amazes me. I hope that if I am ever faced with a challenge this big, I will face it with your attitude. You are an amazing woman. Congratulations.

Many more emails when the mammogram came back clean.
Judy Nelson: Yahoo. So glad.If we were closer, I 'd open a bottle of wine and celebrate. Love ya.
Cindy Coonan: What great news. I am excited for you. Oh happy dance.
Beth Latham: all those  treatments and meds.. totally worth it for the  feeling of hearing : benign. Go celebrate!
I have kept all the cards I received from everyone.. I have 64 get well, thinking of you cards from several freinds, family and coworkers.
So these are just a few of the emails and comments from my friends and family. Thank you just doesn't seem to cover it. But thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment