Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Radiation Planning #2 and Radiation treatment #1 only 32 left

Yesterday Sept 28th was my second planning session with the radiation dept. They did the exact same thing as the last time, only this time they were checking that the marks they made on me lined up again.
I still don't see the need for the very small tattoos since they ended up covering them with a purple felt pen and a piece of clear round tape over each spot. I have one on the left side almost behind my arm pit, one almost on my left nipple, two in the center between my breasts, one on my right breast on the side and another on on the  right side behind my arm like the left side.
They told me not to pick these off and to be very careful in the shower. If these marks get un-done, than I have to do the planning session again so they can re mark me. When they see that the clear band aid/tape stuff starts to come off they will replace it.

Today Sept 29th at 6pm was my first actual treatment. They provided me with a "burn-your-eye-out" red robe, had me undress from the waist up, lay on the table and a machine  that looked identical to the one in the planning sessions slowly moved above me from the right side to the left. It took about 15 minutes total.
I headed back to the dressing room, put my robe in a bag with my name on it and hung it on a rack. I will be the only one to use this robe.
Nothing touched me, nothing hurt, it was fine-- for the first time. I know worst is on the way!

When I got home I said to Richard, " Am I glowing yet? I've been radiated for the first time". His comment to me was, " only 32 left to do!"
I figure I will be done the middle of November. So my way of rationalizing is this: Since Sept is over in 2 days, might as well say is October now. So that means I will be done with radiation next month.
Crazy but it might help me cope with the daily routine of going for treatment!

PS. As for my hair.... imagine a Brillo pad. Richard said he can see a little bit of dark in it. I cant even see the outline of where my hair is suppose to be its so light colored.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah! Another 'First' is over with! Did you say a while back that these will be everyday, Mon - Fri? That 32# will go down quickly! Next month will be here before you know it. I wonder why the robes are red?? Do you get to keep it when you are all done? : )
    Much love,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soon this will pass too. I know you are glowing, you were that before you got radiated. I know this has been a long struggle but you are coming through it wonderfully and I am so glad for you. I know all of this can't be easy to deal with. May Jehovah continue to be with you and give you the strength you need to keep going. Love ~ Shari B

    ReplyDelete