Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Radiation Appointment

Today I met with Dr. Choong Kim the radiation Dr. at St. Johns Medical Center. I have met with him one other time back on March 9th.
This appointment was almost an exact repeat of the last one.
He checked my scars, told me I would be scheduled for 33 treatments and that they would be Monday through Friday.
Can't wear any lotion or deodorant on that side while I am having radiation. The actual radiation appointment is suppose to take 10 to 15 minutes and that waiting my turn in the office will be longer than the actual treatment.
Also asked if I would be working during treatment. I said, "yes , I am going to try to ". He thought that was good. Said that most people who live an active life of working, and running errands, exercising ext. held up better under treatment.
Radiation will have four side effects: 1) Tiredness 2) sunburn/blisters/aches in the area 3)emotional roller coaster 4) possibility of developing Lymphodema. 5 to 10% of patients will develop this.

He did tell me that I most likely will have the a difficult time in the area under my arm where the surgery was to remove the lymph nodes. This part of the surgery they didn't use stitches when they were done, it looked like they glued the pieces of skin back together. He also said that I am just a little bit still swollen from the surgery.
Nothing to much new since the last time I saw him.
My next appointment in radiation is Sept 13th to set up what they call a planning session. To discuss my treatment, payments, make the molds they will use and to mark me with three little tattoos so they can line up the machines exactly where they need to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment