Saturday, November 27, 2010

Baby Steps to Giant Leaps

Three months , 90  short days ago yesterday,  August 26th was my last treatment of chemo. When I first wore a wig outside the house trying to get used to it, even before my hair started to fall out I felt that first day that even driving through town on our way the Kingdom Hall that rainy Sunday morning, that even the other drivers were looking at me , knowing I had a wig on and  that I looked very different.  Some might say  a little paranoid... yes, but more afraid than anything else. If you have been reading my blog since the beginning, you know the wig fears I have had and the problems, like the time it came off when I was getting a message. Or the times at work I would look in my little mirror at my desk  and realize it was sliding to far back, and I had large forehead from it. Other than when Binnie shaved my hair off;  my mom and Richard are the only two who ever saw me without a wig or hat on the entire time.

Up to this day, I have ALWAYS wore a wig outside the house, no matter how I felt or thought I looked. I always felt that I wanted to blend in with everyone and didn't want to look like I have been battling cancer. Some have even said recently that they wished I would start going without my wigs. Easy for them to say!

Today however...... I am happy to say that I have left the house without my wig and went shopping! A giant leap forward in this cancer battle.


Most places I went today, I could tell people were looking at me, but I must have been having a really good day, since I didn't really care. They have no idea what  I have been through and how  scary this was but at the same time what a huge step  this was for me.
Most of the time, the men I saw had hair longer than mine! ( I was jealous of most of them!) Yes, my ears were really cold!
So here it is:

3 comments:

  1. Ah Nancy, you look so good! Such a big step for you, I am so proud of you. I said in the beginning of this that you are stronger than you know and it took a lot of strength to take that step!
    Congrats on taking such a big step...and braving the cold!
    Much love,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy, you are my hero. You are beautiful inside and out and have fought a very courageous battle.
    Such a good example for us all.
    Love, Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy, as I have mentioned before you are a true source of inspiration to me. I don't know if I could have gone through this like you have. I know it hasn't been easy for you but you've always seemed positive about it. May Jehovah continue to give you the strength you need to keep going in this old system. It is a joy and a pleasure to see your smiling face at the meetings. YOU are a beautiful person inside and out with your wig or without. Love ~ Shari Birch

    ReplyDelete