Friday, April 16, 2010

Losing Hair

Yesterday afternoon I realized I am starting to lose my hair. The last couple of days I have been thinking my hair looks pretty bad, looks really dry, so I just put more styling product on it! Was primping and fingering through my hair and when I took my hand away, realized there was too much hair between my fingers. So I did it to the other side.. and same thing. Like I had to test it on both sides to see it was real. I was as work in the bathroom, so came back to my desk and emailed Kris. She was re-assuring, that I have plan for this and I have my wigs ready to go, should I need it the next morning. Just thinking about what was happening was too much, so when I started to cry I went out into the hallway at work. Just as Cindy my boss was leaving for the day, she saw me and I explained to her that I had just realized I was starting to lose my hair and its scary. So this morning first thing I did was look at my pillow to see how much I had lost over the night.. no more than usual. However, my head felt really funny. It tingled, like a hurt when its sun burned, or like when I was little and had tight pony tails and the end of the day taking them out how my head would hurt from hair then having to go back to its normal way. I didn't straighten my hair today like I usually do as I didn't want to pull on it any more than I had to. If I really pulled on it , I think I could get quit the chunk of hair. I have only had three and a half months of knowing this was going to happen. But now that it is happening, I am scared. But like Brenda and my mom told me, its just my hair and it will grow back. But my health with the chemo and recovering from it will be a huge thing in my life, and that I should be very concerned with it. Its just hair, even though its scary and emotional to lose it, I know it will come back. Like I said in the beginning, I don't think I have great hair, but I really like my hair.

3 comments:

  1. oh man, I wish I was there to give you a hug!We are women and we have an emotional connection to our hair. You have done as much as possible to prepare for the physical part of losing your hair, but the emotional part...hard to prepare in advance for that. I am so sorry you are having to deal with this! I am hysterical after a bad hair cut, even though yes, it will grow back....so I can't even imagine! You are handling everything so well though! Thank you for your honesty and being willing to share your emotions and feeling with us here!
    Much love,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey sis...I'm so sorry. There's no way you could have prepared yourself for this experience...you've never been through it before. And, you have beautiful hair, by the way. It's OK to be scared and upset about losing it...like Beth said...we all get hysterical after a bad perm, cut, or wrong color! I was secretly hoping you'd be one of the rare few who didn't lose their hair. But, you got some great wigs. They look really cute on you! I can't even imagine how emotional this is for you. I'm proud of you for handling everything so well. You're a strong girl! Love you so much. Missy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete