Friday, June 25, 2010

HER-2 questions

Thanks for the questions!! test me! I feel I know all about this, I have do so much reading about it!


My cancer books explain the HER-2 as this:

The drug Herceptin is a monoclonal antibody directed against HER2. HER2 is a bio marker that is tested on your initial biopsy.  Herceptin is an antibody that targets HER2, a protein on the surface of the cells of certain breast cancers. HER2 is an oncogene, a non-inherited gene mutation.
You have a 20 to 25 percent chance of being HER 2 positive. If this is the case, Herceptin can improve the effectiveness of chemotherapy. Not classified as chemotherapy, Herceptin belongs to a new group of treatments called targeted therapy.  Herceptin is an antibody designed to target HER2 and shut it down.
It is given by IV either once a week (which I am doing) or every three weeks using a triple dose. Either method is equally effective and equally safe.

The down side is a risk with Herceptin. About 5% of patients develop some weakening of the heart muscle, so monitoring of the heart is needed. (why I have the muga scans). Fortunately, if this type of heart problem occurs, it can improve upon discontinuing the drug.

Hope this helps explain it. Its a little confusing I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment