Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Muga Scan number 2

Yesterday, Monday June 14th,  I went to St. Johns Medical Center Nuclear Medicine Dept for my second MUGA scan.

I had one of these done I think it was in March.

They give you an IV, and in that IV is a protein that attaches to the red blood cells, send you back to the waiting room for about  20 minutes.

After that, they had me lay on bed, platform is more like it, its about a foot wide, strap in you in with a wide fabric belt, and make you lay extremely still. You move towards the circle of the machine, but not into it. Then these square plates come up from the sides and are so close, they almost touch you. If you are afraid of being enclosed, this would freak you out. They are so close that I tried to look at the markings on them, but it was blurry it was so close to my face. So I just laid their with my eyes closed.  After about 20 minutes, the plates move away and they unstrap you and your are done.

This machine and test, is testing the strength of my heart. The Adriamycian chemo drug that I have been on can be really hard on the heart . So now that I am done with that drug, they wanted to check my heart again.
they said my Dr. should have my results in a couple of days.

On my way out of the hospital, I stopped at the Starbucks on floor 2 and got a coffee. Since the rule was no food or drink 4 hours before hand,(that wasn't too hard) and the fact that I deserved a coffee, I got one!

The appointment was at 1pm, so I left work about 12:35pm, and I left the hospital at about 2:15pm.
This time this appointment seemed to take longer than the last one they did.
I stopped off at the house, had some lunch and went back to work.

2 comments:

  1. Nice that there's a Starbucks in the hospital!

    So you had a Muga scan at the beginning, and now half way. Is that it then for those or will they do one when the chemo is done? Is this the one that made you feel a little off afterwards the first time, or was that a different scan? (I say a little off, but I know it was more than that) I'm guessing if you ate and went back to work, you were feeling well this time.
    Anyhow, thanks for the update! Oh, and my new fav - extra coffee light caramel frapp. So good on a hot day!
    Much love,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth,
    I am thinking I will have another one of these scans when I am done with chemo since its to check my heart, but dont know that for sure.
    This one is not the one that made me feel like I was having a seizure.
    Thank goodness theres a Starbucks in the hospital, its came in handy several times!

    ReplyDelete