Thursday, March 11, 2010

Chemo Doctor

Richard and I met with Dr. Katherine Richert-Boe, one of the chemo oncologists at Kaiser in Longview. She looked at my surgery area, asked a few questions, than got down to what the treatment will be for chemo. The treatment will start next Thursday March 18Th. The treatment will be once every three weeks for 24 weeks. The treatment lasts two to three and half hours each time. Names of the drugs that are prescribed are: Adriamycin and Cytoxan followed by Taxol and Herceptin. The Herceptin I will be on for a year. Side effects you ask?? They range anywhere from hair loss, (yes I will lose my hair-don't know if I will ever get used to thinking about it happening and how I will deal with it the day it starts), nausea, diarrhea, sores in mouth, fatigue, infection from low white blood cells, and a 1 to 2% chance of heart and lung damage. And a 50% or higher chance of putting me into menopause. I sound like the disclaimer on a TV commercial! How will I cope with being sick from chemo and hot flashes??? Our appointment lasted a little over an hour and the nurses were so nice. They are really excited because they are getting a new annex at the kaiser and said it is really really nice. Before leaving, they scheduled me for one more test at St. Johns Hospital in the nuclear meds dept. on Tuesday March 16Th this test they call the MUGA, (Multiple Gated Acquisition scan) it has to do with my heart and how it pumps. This is the short name for it, the other name is: nm cardiac blood pool imaging, gated equilibrium, wall motion study with injection frac, single rest So today wasn't too bad, they only drew blood before I left. I felt like crying when we left, thinking that I am really doing this.. that it is me that we are in here for, this is going to be a regular routine for several months. Yet, I feel like the tests all came back good and now we are on a road to get it done, get it over with and get on with life. So I think by January 2011 I will be ready for a nice vacation in Hawaii! ( Missy, get ready!!) Now I will research more on these drugs and try not to become an Hypochondriac!!

11 comments:

  1. You tell us when...we'll be ready for you! So sorry this is going to be so long and drawn out for you! Such a terrible disease. You're going to beat this though. Been reading the year book. So many times it emphasizes where we are in the stream of time, I've been underlining them..."We have every reason to believe that Jehovah will act soon"..."The time is fast approaching"...So, when you come visit, who knows...you may be in perfect health in the New System we long for! That's my hearts desire! Just endure for now, I have every confidence in you. Love you so much!
    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy, This is so strange. I clicked on "preview" and my comment supposedly went thru. This whole thing is too weird for me. I wonder if everyone who is sending a comment is clicking "preview" first.???? Someone should have told me!!! MOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy, Let's celebrate!! I ordered 1,000 balloons, 62 Pizza's for appitizers, a 9-course steak and Lobster sit-down dinner, 40 gallons of Pepsi and 2-hour fireworks show. Now if we could just get someone to join us!! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, let's try this again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy, Let's celebrate!! I ordered 1,000 balloons, 62 Pizza's for appitizers, a 9-course steak and lobster sit down dinner, 40 gallons of Pepsi, and a 2-hour fireworks show. Now if we could just get someone to join us!! MOM

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going crazy. It says it won't post, but it really does, so I send that one twice.!!!Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nancy, you are on my mind constantly. I too am so sorry you are going thru this.
    I was so amused by the "middle-age" thing. I never have felt "middle-aged" and I am rapidly approaching the "old-age" section. But just think about what it will feel like to be 500, 800, or just not care about that # at all.
    Hang in there, Nancy, and remember that Jehovah's hand is right there for the taking. He will give you all that you need to face this trial. Much love, Jackie R.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Prayers and love everyday to the strongest person I know! <3

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nancy,Yo/Hi & i will let Jehovah's word speak for me....Ps.26:1-3 (1)O Jehovah,for I myself have walked in my own integrity,And in Jehovah I have trusted.(2)Examine me,O Jehovah,and put me to the test;Refine my kidneys and my heart(3)For your loving-kindness is in front of my eyes.And I have walked in your truth.
    Ps.27:1 Jehovah is my light and my salvation.
    Jehovah is the stronghold of my life.
    Our Prayers,thoughts & hugs from MN...T.C.H.

    ReplyDelete