Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Bone Scan

Today was my whole body bone scan. I was really dreading it. I knew I was going by myself to this one. It was at St. Johns Hospital. Finding the Nuclear Meds dept in the hospital was tough. I had to ask three times for directions! Finally found it down some long narrow hallway that most people don't walk down. The first appointment was at 11:30am. They gave me a shot of something I swear he said it was a radio active mineral. They treated my right arm like I was giving blood, but instead it was a shot. I was thinking it would be a shot in the arm, like a flu shot. All went OK.. as well as it can when you get a shot! Sent me on my way. OK to eat and drink and do what ever. The next appointment was at 2pm. This time I found my way back really easy since I knew where I was going! Took off my glasses, shoes, jacket. The Dr guy had me lay on a bed that I think was about 12 inches wide~! I looked at that bed and thought I might fall off! but it was OK. Asked if I wanted a blanket. I declined, I was hot from nerves just being there. Than he had me put my arms to the side and strapped me in with a big piece of velcro'd fabric and my hands just hung there. Than he asked if I was claustrophobic. I said No.. I should have said yes! next thing I know, this big plate with an X on it was about 1/2 inch from my face! I had to lay as still as I could. The machine slowly made its way down to my feet. He came back after about 10 minutes and said they got what they needed and didn't need to run the machine from my feet back up to my head... maybe that's a good sign that they didn't need so many shots.? Nothing about today hurt it was probably the easiest test so far! By the time I got to the car, I was dizzy. I think i had been hyperventilating while laying there. I couldn't get my breathing to slow down and felt like I had to take really big breathes. So I went directly to Starbucks for a coffee! That cures just about everything!! He said the results will take a couple of days to get. By the time they read them and send them to Kaiser, I should know by Monday he thought. He also said that he will probably see me again; people on chemo have bone pain and usually get sent one or two times during treatment to make sure their bones are OK. I go back to work tomorrow. Because the Dr's release note says "as tolerable for two weeks", I can pretty much come and go as I need for appointments and how I am feeling. Hope I can make it through a full day for Thursday and Friday, I really want to get back to a schedule/routine that I am familiar with...than I have the weekend to rest up!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Glad that is over! Sounded a little intense. Hope work is a nice distraction for you tomorrow. I'm sure the people you work with have been missing you!
    Love Ya!
    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lady,
    Glad you made it through your day. I think all stressful roads must lead to Starbucks as that always works for me, too! They had samples out yesterday of a chocolate cherry cream frap......soooo goood!!!
    Have a great day tomorrow at work!
    Much love,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bon Jour!
    Yes i am realllllly looking forward to you getting back to work....... i miss u something terrible! Starbucks cures just about anything!!! xx00 KB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi ho, Hi ho, its off to work you go....
    have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete