Sunday, March 14, 2010

Wig Shopping

Saturday March 13, 2010 Wig shopping day. Mom, Brenda, Kris and I headed to Portland to find a wig. First stop was Wig Land on Broadway. They had a lot to chose from,(Later to find out it was the most we see in one store). The employee was a guy, he was nice. I picked out several styles. He had me put on a little hat, made out of the same material as a pair of panty hose, tuck my hair in a pony and under the little hat. He put a couple wigs on me, but than the store got busy, so Brenda took over putting them on me. We knew right away if we liked the style or not. Most seemed to have too much on the top/crown part of my head. I looked like me, but me wearing a wig... and than, we put one on and we all knew it was the one. Thanks to mom, I now own this wig. Kris also tried some wigs on, good and bad wigs-- and she bought one too. The next stop was a tiny little shop called The Wig Gallery by Mall 205. She didn't have very many to chose from. I tried on about 6 and did like one but it was $300 and had to be ordered in the color I needed. It was hand tied, meaning the top of the wig looks more like the real color of a scalp. The other wigs are called machine tied and are lower in price. I had her order this wig, ( it was no obligation to buy once it came in). However, Sunday morning I called her to cancel the order. Our third stop was the Merle Norman at the Clackamas Mall. When I called them, they told me they had hundreds of wigs. What they should have said was we have about 20 wigs and they can be ordered in hundreds of colors. The employee right off bugged me. I tried on a couple and found one that is a short bob, with it shorter in the back. It will be nice in the summer when its hot. Than I spotted one that was just long and straight and had a hat on the model. The employee said it was a "halo" wig. Meaning there is nothing on the top of the head area and you have to wear a hat or scarf. I ended up buying this one too. I think it will fit those days I have that I just want to throw on a hat and go. The employee got better the longer we were there and I ended up leaving with two wigs one is a bob and one is the halo style that will be shipped to my house. To think the store with the least is where I bought the most! We headed to Stanford's for a late lunch/early dinner and a drink. (I had a pomegranate Margarita.. yummy!) I think we all felt good that what we came shopping for, we found and learned a few things about wigs. Did some other shopping and headed home. It was a good day. Not crying and stressful that I will be losing my hair, that I am a cancer patient looking for a wig. It was a fun day and I am glad I had a girls day with family to help me, I found some that will get me through is and turned out well.

1 comment:

  1. Oh!...I'm so jealous!...wish I could have been there, sounds like you had a fun day! I know wigs are expensive, there are a few sites that offer a greatly reduced price for cancer patients. If you get too desperate, you might want to look into that. Did you get a blonde, or red head wig! Time to be adventerous! mmmm pomegranate margarita sounds wonderful! Glad you had a good day sis, you deserve more of those. Love you so much, Missy

    ReplyDelete