Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Clean Bone Scan!!!!!!

When this whole health issue started, my regular Dr. was on vacation. I had just changed Dr.s and I had not had a chance to see my new doctor, Dr. Manzone yet. When the mammogram came back bad, they got me in with Dr. Chung, who is a surgeon. I still have not seen Dr. Manzone. However, today I received the following email from Dr. Manzone: Dear Mrs Smith: I am pleased to report that the bone scan did not indicate any cancer in the bones. It did show some activity in many joints and the spine- consistent with some mild inflammation (the joys of middle age), but thankfully was otherwise negative. I look forward to meeting you in person some day! Please let me know if you have any problems or questions !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YIPPEE, SOMETHING POSITIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, there were tears of joy today! I had to leave my desk and walk out in the hallway for a minute to let it sink in that I have a positive scan. and tears now just thinking it. And I got the cutest homemade Congrats card and plant at work for the good news. Today also was my consultation with the radiation oncologist, Dr. Choong Kim, my mom went with me. It was at the Cancer Center at St.Johns Medical Center. He did an exam, looked at my scars to see how its healing. Said the day I find out that my chemo is done, to call him so we can start on the radiation. I will be having 33 treatments which is 5 1/2 to 6 weeks every day, Monday through Friday. It takes about 10 to 15 minutes each time. His words were, "this is a piece of cake". Compared to chemo, it sounds like it. The side effects of radiation are 1.) sun tan/burn possible blistering, 2.) being extremely tired and 3.)possible lymphodema which is swelling in the left arm that will last a life time but has physical therapy to help out (happens to 5 to 10% of the patients). Over all the consult went well, lasted just over an hour. But, the comment my regular Dr. used in his email has me a little worried, "middle age"..... since when am I middle aged? oh well, with the news he had I will forgive him! I go to bed with a happy feeling tonight.

4 comments:

  1. Woo Hoo!! Congrats on your bone scan!! Brian just turned 41 and "isn't middle aged" either!
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, I am so happy to hear the good results of you bone scan!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yippee!...so happy for any good news! :-) Cry happy tears all you want! Love Ya!
    Missy

    ReplyDelete